Self-Care and Self-Love are crucial for each and everyone of us. Self-Care is when we take the time to care for ourselves and our all around well-being. This includes mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually. Self-care is nurturing ourselves to the best of our capacity.
Self-Love is loving ourselves wholeheartedly for everything that we are. It is accepting and appreciating who we are at our core of essence and existence.
Self-care and self-love go hand-in-hand but are not the same. Self-care is a big component of self-love.
Both self-care and self-love is an ongoing endeavor we do for ourselves. It is about taking the time out of our lives and applying ways to care for ourselves on a daily basis (no matter how little it may be: remember, a little goes a long way). By practicing self-care and self-love, it is creating a healthier lifestyle internally and externally. Below are some ideas on how to care and love yourself.
Ideas for Self-Care & Self-Love:
- Breathe. Take time to slowly breathe and regain focus as needed. (There are a ton of guided meditations and breathing exercises out there, find the one that fit rights for you).
- Say “I LOVE YOU” to yourself each and everyday. You deserve your own love more than anything else.
- Listen. Listen to your body. If your body is calling for rest, then rest! If your body is saying it needs to eat, take the time to eat as needed, consciously. Whatever it may be, your body knows what it needs – Listen!
- Attend. Attend to your interests, passions and creativity. Whatever it may be. Take classes that you’ve been drawn to, take that trip that you have been desiring. Attend to yourself however that may look or be.
- Positive Self-Talk. Keep redirecting those negative thoughts into a positive thought.
- Express Gratitude. Practice being grateful for everything in your life. Living and be-ing in a state of gratitude has been known to boost your health.
- Exercise. Be active. Your body will thank you for taking care of it. Exercise will provide more energy.
- Drink Water. This helps you stay hydrated and replenished.
- Set Boundaries. Boundaries are super important. When you know your body cannot handle something or someone, walk away. You have this right!
- Say “NO” or “YES.” When you are in overload, it is OK to say “no.” If you have a desire burning within you, say, “YES!”
- Maintain Balance. Allow yourself to find the balance between work, personal life, alone time, family and friends.
- Develop New Interests. Keep your spark going! Keep exploring life. Everything you are drawn to, do it!
- Treat Yourself. Take time to treat yourself, whether it be a massage, a spa day, a vacation, a piece of cake – get there!
- Create. Create art: Paint, draw, doodle, sew, dance, sing, play an instrument… whatever it may be, KREATE!
- Be Present. Be aware of yourself, others and environment. Just be in the moment.
- Surround Yourself With Others Who Uplift You. Be around others who inspire you, make you laugh and feel good.
- Connect With Yourself. There is so much your body is telling you, connect and be in-tune.
- Connect With Others. Be with others with whom you feel deeply connected with.
- Alone time. Spend some time alone with yourself: with no one else around – no social media, no phone, no TV, nothing. Be with YOU wholeheartedly.
- Know Your Worth. You are worthy and valuable – see yourself just as that!
- Walk/Hike/Bike. Go for a walk, hike or bike ride. This helps clear the mind.
- Nature. Be with nature. Nature has been known to boost your health in so many aspects too!
- Vitamin D. Take time to sit in the sun for a few minutes a day. Absorb and take in the vitamin D the sun has to give.
- Routine. Going to bed the same time every night and waking up the same time every morning is healthy on our bodies and mind.
- Forgive Yourself. Forgive yourself for not being able to get done what you needed to do that day. Forgive yourself for anything else that you hold onto.
- Focus on the good. Especially in yourself. There is always good in everyone and everything. Find it and focus on it.
- Let Go. Let go of heavy thoughts, people, memories and habits that hold you down. That extra baggage is only weighing you down. When you let go, you free yourself and feel the weight lifted from your Be-ing.
- Have a Good Relationship With Yourself. Be committed to yourself. Treat yourself kind and be compassionate to YOUrself. You deserve it!
- Do a kind deed. This can be for yourself, a friend or a complete stranger. Doing kind deeds always make us feel good.
- Laugh. Laughter is the best medicine. Laughter is also known to heal the soul and brighten the day.
- Support System. Talk to a family member, friend, therapist, or a neighbor (someone you feel comfortable talking to and can trust). Talking is a healthy form of release.
Since I find creating art to be an extraordinary way to express self-care and self-love, I posted some art-based ideas that I know work for me:
Art-Based Directives for Self-Care & Self-Love:
- Draw your mood everyday (use any medium you are drawn to – this could be crayons, markers, colored pencils, oil pastels, paint, etc…).
- Draw yourself as a warrior (use any medium you are drawn to – this could be crayons, markers, colored pencils, oil pastels, paint, etc…).
- Create art work in response to an inspiring and uplifting quote. (Use any medium you are drawn to – this could be crayons, markers, colored pencils, oil pastels, paint, etc…).
- Play with clay. Create a sculpture of what you think feel good feelings should look like.
- Make a collage. Use magazines, glue and poster board. Make a collage based on what you think self-love and self-care means to you.
- Collect nature pieces (leaves, pine-cones, stones/rocks, sticks, etc…) and create an art piece out of them. (Use a hot glue gun to glue the pieces together).
- Create a [funny] comic. (Paper and sharpies).
- Do a collaborative piece of art with someone you enjoy. (Use any medium you are drawn to – this could be crayons, markers, colored pencils, oil pastels, paint, etc…).
Believe in yourself and you can KREATE WHAT U WANT <3